Grafton Lock is a lock on the northern bank of the River Thames in Oxfordshire, England, between Kelmscott and Radcot. It lies about 1.6 km (1 mi) south of the hamlet of Grafton, 5.37 km (3.34 mi) downstream from Buscot Lock and 2.98 km (1.85 mi) upstream from Radcot Lock.
The lock was built by the Thames Conservancy in 1896, however, previously there was a weir with a flash lock on the site known as Day's Weir. The Thames Conservancy removed the weir in 1869.
Around the lock
There are no benches or facilities at the lock. The meadow at the lock is designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest.
Beyond the lock
Kelmscott and Kelmscott Manor are situated on the north bank whilst on the southern bank the river passes Eaton Hastings, the country retreat of William Morris. Further upstream the river is crossed by Eaton Footbridge, a wooden footbridge across the river built in 1936.
The Thames Path follows the northern bank to Buscot Lock.
How to get there
The Lock is not easily accessible. There's no car park or official entrance, so the best way to get there is by boat, or along the Thames Path. One side of the lock is private access only.