How to get there
From the M40 take junction 4 and take the A 4010 to High Wycombe and then about 14 km (~9 miles) on to Princes Risborough.
Princes Risborough Website: http://www.princesrisborough.com
Princes Risborough dates back to before 1066 being situated close to the ancient Ickneild Way. It lies between Aylesbury and High Wycombe, and although not that close to the River Thames, we have included it here as an ideal base for exploring many parts of the Chiltern Hills, the Ridgeway path and Whiteleaf Cross.
What To Do And See
As with many English market towns, Princes Risborough has a long history. Although some buildings date from the 13th century, much of the architecture is 17th and 18th century.
Princes Risborough has a number of buildings of historic interest, and the town itself offers good shopping, including many traditional traders as well as several interesting gift and book and antique shops.
The town has a number of fine churches and weekly markets and two annual fairs are held in the town around the beautiful Market House.
It was not until the 14th Century that the town acquired its regal extension with the word "Princes" being added in remembrance of one of its famous residents, the Black Prince.
Princes Risborough has become an ideal place to view the Red Kite. These birds of prey are often sighted above the town and surrounding areas.
The town is overlooked by the Whiteleaf Cross, on the hillside nearby the tiny village of Whiteleaf. The famous gigantic cross is cut into the chalk hillside and visible from up to 48 kilometres (30 miles) away.
Another prominent landmark is Lacey Green Windmill, one of the oldest smock mills in the country dating back to 1650.
Close to the town is Coombe Hill, the highest point in the Chilterns and the recently opened Brush Hill local nature reserve where during high summer the chalk grassland is a carpet of colourful wildflowers.
Another nearby attraction is the Chinnor and Princes Risborough Railway, a heritage railway offering steam train round trips starting at Chinnor station.